The Unknown Hero 1st Draft of Long Ver. Year 9 Writing and Drafting Assignment
The Unknown Hero
I could feel the
excitement building up in the meeting area. It was in the middle of winter and
the piles of ice lying on the ground in the corners had
not yet melted. No one had tried to build a snowman or even have a little bit
of fun with the snow. The students around me turned their attention to the
front. The person speaking was looking down at his notes. He looked up and
began to talk in his own words. We had been hearing similar speeches almost
every single day. They did not want us to cause any trouble. They wanted us to
treat everything seriously and gain valuable experience. We had already helped
out for two weeks in summer at various stores where our seniors worked in. This
time it would be a month.
One of the
reasons why we were required to participate was because they wanted us to
follow their standards and raise the competition levels between stores. I was
always confident that the store that I had grown up with was perfect in every
imaginable way.
I did the morning
stretching and running without any thought but the work that had to be
completed throughout the next day. We gathered in the dining hall and felt
grateful for the breakfast that had been prepared for us. We cleaned the
dormitory building like monks. We had 40 minutes of Ancient Chinese Studies.
After having home group, we had many lessons that lasted until the evenings. We
cleaned the classrooms with respect and were finally allowed free time. Our
evening meal was curry and rice. We felt like soldiers in the navy when we had
curry. I cleaned the table, bed and closet as well as the four tatami mats of
my room. While most people were brushing their teeth, i quickly went to the
massive (public) bath and had a shower. The lights went off shortly after and I
switched on the bedside lamp and the heater. Two of the patrolling teachers
came in after knocking and one of them said, ‘Okita-kun, have a good sleep and
do your best tomorrow.’ I smiled and thanked both of them for all the things
that they had done for me.
Sitting on my
bed, I turned off the heater and lamp in order to have a peaceful moment. I
always felt that I had not had enough food. Somehow, I was beginning to miss my
parents and sister. I loved the town in which I had grown up. My sister was a
university student and wanted to become a science teacher. My little brother
had died after doing too much judo while in year 1 of his junior high school.
There was only me who did not have other available options and was a ‘worthy’
successor of my father’s Panasonic Shop.
It was due to the
pressure of my parents that I had ended up at this boarding school. This
decision had placed me on the road to becoming a shopkeeper with no way out. My
entrance was sealed. It had been eight months since my enrolment and I had
changed much during that time. The environment caused some people to become
robots. Public holidays and some Sundays were the only days when we were
allowed to go outside. The work experience program that would go on for a month
was a relief for many of us. Our life could be compared with that of a prisoner
or a monk.
I would be
graduating the Panasonic Marketing School around March next year after gaining
the last few qualifications. It would be good to return to my hometown and
actually start working. The thought of running the store for over fifty years
was frightening sometimes. But that itself was life. Repetition was necessary but
each time things would be different. The customers would be different for
instance.
I did like all
the products that were sold at our store. The store was not the usual local
electrical appliances store. The store was made up of four buildings. One was our
house; next to it was the Panasonic Shop, then the shop that my father was
planning to continue and lastly the historical building where the workmen
employed by my father stored various parts and appliances in order to fix broken
things. A large tearoom was located in my father’s shop where people sometimes
rested. Many recycling boxes were located around the counter of the main store
in order to promote sustainable usage of products. There was a certain blend
between old and new, the past and the modern age; something that made it stand
out even more.
There were buses
waiting outside the school for the seniors to get to the stores. We were going
to walk to our store with supervising teachers to show our willingness to work.
We split into groups in order to not cause any trouble to other people using
the footpath. It was quite a good feeling to walk as a group, in blue outfits. A
sense of importance could be felt by all of us. It was a brisk walk and we did
not talk to each other. All the new knowledge that we had gained was being
revised in our heads. This was to make sure that we put into action all of the
skills that we had acquired.
There were a few
teenagers that had caught the eye of the students. They were dressed in casual
clothes and seemed to be up to something. A few attempted to block the
footpath. Several were smoking and others showed aggressive behaviour. We
looked towards our teacher who pretended not to notice them. ‘Shall we rest at
this park?’ the teacher said. We all immediately agreed. There were stairs
leading up to the park and we had a good view of what was going on from above.
‘We may be staying here for some time,’ the teacher said. ‘I suspect trouble
going on below.’ ‘What is your plan?’ asked the student next to me. ‘Speaking
to these people won’t be of much use,’ the teacher said. ‘We will call the
police as soon as they do something. One of us will have to go to the shop we
were planning to do work experience in and inform them of our situation.’ We
were all capable people. The teenagers outnumbered us greatly but posed no fear
to us. We saw the teenagers leave the area after a while and decided that the
problem was over. Our teacher thought differently. He sent five of us to go
after them and ordered me to stay. Shortly afterwards, smoke began to curl and
billow out of the window of the tall shop building in front of us. ‘Call the
fire brigade,’ the teacher said. ‘We have to focus on the teenagers.’ There had
been around fifteen of them. Not all of them would be successfully traced if we
did not find at least one of them.
I jumped the
whole set of stone stairs and raced across the road to the other side, where
shouts and other noises were beginning to become louder. Most people had
already escaped from the building. I felt the necessity to double check. All
floors were filled with smoke and I realised that there was nothing that could
be done. After getting out of the building feeling somewhat silly and lucky to
be alive, a lady began to shout at me. I looked around for help from my
teacher, but he wasn’t around. The lady was asking me whether I had seen any
children. I realised that there had been victims. I could not think properly
and almost fell back into the burning building. It was at that moment when the
first fire trucks arrived at the scene. ‘Get away from this building! Everyone,
it is going to collapse on you!’ We could all hear a loud noise coming from the
front of the building. I allowed everyone to escape first. Looking up from
directly below the front of the building, time seemed to go slower as the wall
collapsed. It was already tilted at around 70°when I regained my confidence in myself. There were several people who
had tripped and fallen. I pulled them back up onto their feet to allow them to
escape and then carried two children with two hands before making my way across
the road. Many people were facing their smartphones at me. I could think of
nothing. The wall fell with a deafening crash onto several firefighters and
just narrowly missed us.
I was disappointed to learn that no police had arrived yet. After
recounting everything that I knew to them, I asked them to find my fellow
students. ‘I need to get back to the Marketing School at the least,’ I said. ‘Events
have not turned out as we had expected.’ I waited at the scene for the police
to find my group members. People came up to me and thanked me for the
assistance in escaping. Others were weeping. Bodies on stretchers were carried
out from the entrance and guilt overwrote the virtuousness in my heart. I had
never experienced arson first hand before. Moving my thoughts to other things,
I realised that my daily exercising and overall toughness had helped me to
survive. The school curriculum was too limited. It was only the basic
foundations for storekeepers/electricians. More experiences of culture was
needed. After graduating this school, I would have to continue my journey in
seeking new discoveries.
Amidst the planning in my head, one officer came and said that all the
students had been found safely pursuing their respective teenagers. Only the
teachers could not be found. ‘Probably because they don’t wear the blue shirts
or staff jumpers with the Panasonic logo on them,’ I said. ‘What do I have to
do now?’ ‘You won’t have to go to hospital, and we do not require further
information from you,’ the officer said. ‘Therefore we have arranged for you to
be transported back to your school.’
I wondered whether the teacher had deliberately run away in order to
avoid putting his own life at risk. Everyone seemed to have forgotten about me.
The media came in late, and had missed the collapsing of the wall. All anyone
would ever know about the event was a deliberately set up fire and the
firefighters. Heroes didn’t receive the public’s attention. Local electrical
appliances storeowners and electricians protected their town. They knew the
people well and provided excellent service. Profit was a secondary aim for us,
and we did things for the people of our town because we liked to. We were close
to volunteers. We were unknown to most but known to many.
Comments
Post a Comment